Skip to main content

Match

  Match The story of a woman who was deprived of her life, and suffered from the vicissitudes of life. His lips were shaking slowly. He wanted to say something but could not. Anna had a feeling that she knew what Conrad was going to say. Every woman knows what men say on such occasions.   This had happened to Anna many times before. Every time she heard the sound of the call bell, she was poorly startled. This was because the bell was installed near the sink in the kitchen. Therefore, whenever she was near the sink and someone pressed a finger on the bell button, the loud sound would startle Anna badly. And that's why neither her husband nor her family used this bell. They knew what kind of condition Anna got after hearing the sound of this bell. She was busy preparing food for the family when the loud sound of the bell startled her. This time the voice was a little louder, so Anna was startled a little more accordingly.   She kept the knife aside and walked fast to the door. Two p

Blind Mirror


                      

Blind Mirror


The story of the man who was looking at his reflection in the mirror



The girl herself woke up. I neither called her nor shook her.


She was a minor actress and her name was Margie. If I had not been acquainted with her in detail, I would have thought of her as Martha. Her jawline, cheekbones, and thin steep nose were very similar to Martha's.


 Especially looking at her hair, it definitely seemed so. Her hair was curly and scattered like the gold wire on the pillow.


I was aware of the fact that actresses sleep very late. It was ten o'clock in the day and her eyes were in a hangover. The sun's rays were coming in through the eastern window and falling straight on her face. 


She put one hand on her face as if she wanted to shake off the rays. With the other hand, she moved her blanket. She was wearing a thin fabric nightgown.


Martha also used to wear this type of nightgown. I remember that when she was near, I used to look at her lovingly. I couldn't take my eyes off her curse.


After marrying her, I was deeply in love with her for three years. But one day suddenly she left me and went away. He liked an accountant better than me. When she betrayed me, I broke down. As soon as I saw Margi, a movie of past events started playing in my mind. A fire broke out in my being.


As soon as Margie opened her eyes, she must have unknowingly felt someone standing near her. She was startled. her eyes widened in surprise.


she asked between bated breaths. "You're the detective? The same one who interrogated me at the police station yesterday?"


"Yes Miss Margie, you guessed it right. I am Lieutenant Forman and I have the case in hand."


  "I sat down on the nearest chair. Her apartment was small. Just one room, kitchen, and bathroom. She bought the apartment already furnished.


"How did you get in?" she asked,


 "I'm sure I slept with the door closed."


"Just somehow got in."


"You must have broken the lock or you must have opened it with the master's key. I think you are related to the police. But you have no right to enter the house of respectable citizens."

I could see my reflection in the dressing table mirror. My hands were on my knees. I am proud of them because they are so strong and lovely. I don't take bribes from criminals. Rather I force them to open their tongues with these hands.


"Respectable citizens, huh." I wrinkled my nose.


 "You are a murderer and calling yourself a respectable citizen."


“But I have already told you that I did not commit any murder. I did not kill anybody.”


"Yeah, you said it. But I didn't believe it." I smiled and looked at her.


She realized that the blanket had been removed from her body and I was staring at her. She quickly pulled the blanket around her neck and said. "What do you want ?"


"I'm looking for the truth, Miss. The night before yesterday you stabbed John Howard in the heart, but you still haven't confessed.


"No, it's wrong."


I took out the packet and lit a cigarette and started rolling it slowly in my fingers. She was looking at me with blue eyes. The color of her eyes was also similar to that of Martha. It is possible that the blueness of Martha's eyes is less. 


It had been a long time since I was separated from that unfaithful person. I was not remembering anything clearly.


"Like you're going to use the third degree on me?" she said in a stinging tone.


 "Will you sit here in front and will not get up from here until I confess?"


"You just confessed that you have committed the murder."


"You have a hundred percent doubt about me?"


"That's my guess," I replied.


 "You came here from a small village. Like hundreds and thousands of other girls, you also have a passion for acting. It was because of this passion that you moved to New York and tried to break into Broadway. It was during this time that you met John Howard.


 He is a badass of girls and puts on stage dramas. You were total to his liking. That's why he helped you."


"He was impressed by my performance."


"I know how girls act," I said, biting my lips in disgust.


 "They charm the directors and filmmakers by showing off their looks. This is how they get their work done. John Howard has a beautiful wife. But in spite of this, he keeps on hitting here and there.


  First, he introduced you to the Broadway stage. Then brought you to the theater. He requested the director to give him strong characters to gain fame. He did the same, and as a result, your lucky star started shining. You became a famous actress.


"I knew how to act, that's why I became famous," she said in a poisonous tone.


 "Who would hire me if I didn't know anything?"


“It is possible but there are many actresses like you roaming around in this town.

  They are aware of the art of acting but their luck does not work. they don't get the lead character in any movie or drama.


  George Hogg, the Broadway director himself, told me that John Howard recommended you very strongly. And even said that no matter what happens, you will be made into heroin. I know John Howard very well. Even if he had to spend something from his own pocket in order to make your heroin, he would not back down from that.


"He might be that type of person, but I'm not that type of girl."


I laughed out loud. Who knows women better than me? And then women like this! They are like an open book. I know their vein."


"Besides, you will find every man in the theater telling you that I am in love with Bill Brunt. 


Doesn't that prove that I had no feelings for Mr. John Howard?" Margie asked questioningly.


"It just proves that you're just like these women."


"What kind of women?"


"The same witches who play the game of hypocritical love," I said with pursed lips and took a long puff of a cigarette.


"Anyway, let's look at the matter from another angle. Brunt usually took you with him after the play was over.

  But the day before yesterday you didn't even wait till the end of the play and left with John Howard before the curtain fell. Many people have testified to this. Do you deny it?"


  “When have I denied it? I have said in my statement last night that at that time I was having a severe headache, so severe that I could not even deliver dialogues properly while acting.


  I requested Director Hogg to let me go home. Mr. Howard was there at the time, offered to drop me home, and also recommended me to Hogg.


"Well, Howard was backstage. He recommended you to Hogg and drove you home in his car. 


Couldn't you have had enough time on the way to kill him? It's that simple. That's it.


 The police aren't even stupid enough to make them dance on their fingers."


She rested her head on the pillow. But her nerves were not yet broken. She said in a firm tone. He dropped me off near home. And left from there.


"Was it gone?" I got her point.


  "How? How was he found dead in the same place in the morning? His car was parked in front of the building. And his head was resting on the steering wheel. A knife was embedded in his heart. The answer, according to your statement if he left, `` So how was his dead body found there in the morning?"


"What do I know?"


"You're saying he left."


"I didn't actually see his car leave. I assumed I was walking up the stairs to my apartment."


"You assumed." I pointed the cigarette at her. 


"He could not leave because he was no longer capable of this. Rather, it would be more appropriate to say that you had left him not capable of this. 


Doctors say that he was killed by someone who was sitting on his left side. He did not resist while dying. Surely he was such a person on whose shoulder he was resting his head at that time. In such a situation, a knife gets stuck in his heart. Beautiful bird, now you answer ``How did all this happen for two.?"


Margie shook her head no. She said, 


"But why would I kill him? What according to you could be the reason for the murder?"

"You will tell me this only," I said hoarsely.


 "But wait, I can also guess. In fact, you love this fragile body and chocolate boy Brunt. But to gain fame, respect and name, you have made Howard fall into your trap. Howard is also a swindler. , maybe he has threatened you to stay away from Brunt, or else he will reveal all the secrets. 


He will tell Brunt what kind of relationship is between you and him. Obviously, you are shocked after hearing such a threat. You must have gone. You must have made up your mind to kill Howard. Then you killed him as soon as you had the chance." 


I brushed cigarette ash and said in a poisonous tone.


 "The stirrup in love is no less than a scorpion, you crushed the head of that scorpion."


“Your story is interesting. She said coldly.


  "But I will not plead guilty. I am innocent."


"I know how to work with crooked fingers," I said through gritted teeth.


“My hands were sweating and my fingers were cramping. My hands were desperate to do something, but I was able to control myself.


                                                       …..


This case was also like normal cases, there was no confusion at all. All the links were in front which could be easily connected. Howard's car had fingerprints on it. Those were Howard's own, his wife's, and Margie's. 


There were stab wounds on Howard's body, but the knife was nowhere to be found. Surely the killer had thrown it somewhere where we couldn't find it. There were no blood stains in the car either. By the way What difference does it make? Margie was a criminal. After a little torture, she could be made to confess.


"At least allow me to dress properly," she said patiently.


  She sat with her golden hair loose like the witch Martha. I thought that it would have been better if she had remained sitting under this compulsion.


Margie said nonchalantly, looking into my eyes.


 "You cannot make me confess by threatening and intimidation."


That weak girl was showing me arrogance. Although I had straightened the elders. I had rectified the moods of hundreds of people in the basement of the police station.


 In the beginning, everyone pretends to be fearless but later folds their hands and spills out the whole story. I knew very well how this girl's tongue would be made to open.


"You killed him," I said angrily.


No "


My temper rose on this "no". I slapped her hard on the cheek. The marks of all five fingers must have been made. The blanket moved as soon as it was slapped. My other hand fell on her shoulder.


"Witch, you must confess that you are a murderer."


  Instead of confessing, she let out a heart-rending cry. I covered her mouth with one hand and started hitting her with the other hand. She was still screaming and I could feel it on my palm. Secondly, her voice was not spreading in the air or tearing my eardrums. That's why it is possible that she is suffocating. 


Because she was kicking and there were tears in her eyes. But the tears could not affect me because the crocodile always sheds tears.


"Move your tongue, I will split your bones."


"You have no right to commit such atrocity. I will report against you."


"If you attempt to do so, I will charge you with lewdness."


Margie looked at me in astonishment as if she could not believe what she was hearing.


"The story would be something like I came here to investigate but you…"


" You can not do it. "


"It is very easy for me to do that. I will blame you and put you behind bars but think about what will happen next.


 Will your family be able to see their face to anyone?" As far as people are concerned, they will believe me immediately.


Because actresses are already infamous in this matter."


  She hid her head in the pillow and started sobbing. After a few moments, she dried her eyes. And spoke in a requesting tone.


"Please leave me alone. Please!"


"I will definitely leave. The condition is that you tell me everything."


Suddenly she jumped out of bed. She quickly ran towards the bathroom. She probably wanted to go inside and lock the latch, so that she could get rid of me. But I quickly grabbed her hair. She stopped with a jolt. Her eyes were welling up with the intensity of the pain.


Don't know why I felt pity for her condition. I let go of her hair.


  She went to the cupboard panting and took out her gown and started wearing it.

She was just tightening the knot when the doorbell rang.


I gestured for her to open the door and threatened in whispers.


 "If you do anything wrong, I will make you rot in jail for the rest of your life."


She looked at me with hatred and went to another room, and opened the door. someone said in a gleeful voice.


 "Good morning dear, didn't your sleep get disturbed by our arrival?"


"No, come in."


Brunt came inside. He was an intelligent and attractive young man. He had broad shoulders and a strong build. Behind him entered the theater director Hogg. He was a thin, anxious, lonely man. I always saw cigarettes on his lips.


"Both were stunned to see me. Last night I inquired about all the people related to the theater. That's why they knew me.


  I shook my head lightly and gave them permission to come inside. they also nodded their heads in reply.


"Very well," said Hogg tauntingly. "Are you still looking into this?"


They both looked at Margie.


 "Detective Taylor was asking me some questions," Margie said flatly. She turned her face to the window.


 "You don't want to ask anything else?"


"Yeah, one question I haven't found the answer to yet."

"I told you what I knew," she said.


I asked both of them through gritted teeth. "Have you guys come here for any specific purpose or just to spend time?"


   Hogg took a puff of the cigarette and spread a lot of smoke in the air. And curtly said,


 "I have brought the screenplay of the new play. And I want it to be discussed in Margie's presence since Margie and Brunt are in the lead."


"That's it or something?"


"What else could happen?" Hogg wondered.


 “We've already been troubled since Mr. Howard's murder. And you policemen are troubled differently. However, the drama show will go on."


"Well, I'll go," I said, lighting a new cigarette.


"I'm sure you didn't get into trouble because of me," I said, giving Margie a sharp look.


"No," she said hesitantly.


  I took small steps and came out of the apartment. Five minutes later I was sitting in front of my officer. 


As soon as I entered the police station. He called me.


  "You didn't report this morning, Taylor." He said, 


"Where were you?"


"I was setting a trap for the murderer."


"The mayor and the commissioner have bullied me," he said indignantly.


 "They say Howard's murder is no small thing. Yeah, what were you saying, where did you go?"


"Meet Howard's killer. I'm pretty sure it's a girl named Margie."


"Have you had any success in this regard," he asked.


"Success has not been achieved but there is a strong possibility of this."

"Taylor, I have a feeling you're up to no good... It's not fair to suspect one person and go after him."


“Till now you only suspect her while I consider her a murderer.”


"Okay Taylor," he said thoughtfully.


 "As you wish, you are in charge of this case, solve it as you wish."


After coming back from him, I read the reports of my assistants but nothing useful came out of them.


After the busyness, the mind had become tired. So I closed my eyes and started swinging on the chair. Margie came to my mind. When I grabbed her golden hair and jerked her, how much did Martha's every style of that fucker match?


Suddenly something pricked my finger and I came out of the world of imagination. I opened my eyes and saw that my hand had unknowingly fallen on a sharpened pencil whose tip had pricked me. I angrily cut that pencil into two pieces and tossed it in the dustbin. 


It was time for lunch so I went to the canteen.


When I left the canteen, I found Bill Brunt waiting for me on the sidewalk. Both his hands were stuck in the pockets of his jacket. Ferocity was visible in his eyes. He came close to me and said in a cold tone.


 "If you go near her again, I will kill you."


"What are you saying?" I expressed my surprise.


 I felt there was a bulge in his right pocket. It was as if his fingers were playing with a fire weapon at this time.


"You scumbag, you've raised your hands on Margie." He spoke angrily.


"She told you everything?"


"Yes, I knew from her face that something had happened to her. When I asked her after Hogg left, she buried her face in my chest and started crying. 


When I insisted, she told me that you have threatened her. When I consoled her, she gained courage and told me about the whole incident.


He took out his right hand from his pocket and pressed it on my shoulder and said.


 "Now if you raise your hand on her, I will not leave you alive."


That small weak boy was rubbing his delicate and dirty hand on my body. I got angry at his attitude. I jerked my hand away. And gave him a hard slap with the left hand. He jumped and hit the nearest wall.


It was a busy street and people were coming and going. Some women started shouting hysterically when they saw me raising my hand to him. I didn't care and jumped on the actress. After eating more than two or four hands, he had become delirious.


 He took out his pistol and tried to fire at me but I caught hold of his wrist and twisted it. The Point 22 pistol fell on the pavement. I grabbed the pistol from the side of the cord and hit him in the face, causing him to bleed. And his struggle cooled down.


Meanwhile, many people gathered around me. One of the women was saying in a feverish manner. Stop him... Stop this beast or else he will kill Brunt.


 I tried to explain to people that I am from the police and I am going to teach this young man a lesson, but no one listened to me.


 No one was ready to support me. Suddenly policemen came out of the headquarters building. When they saw the crowd, they came here.


 I told them that I belong to the homicide department. And this young man has attempted a murderous attack on me.


  They arrest Brent. On reaching the headquarters, I wrote my statement in front of the desk sergeant.


Then Brunt was pushed behind bars.


While reprimanding such a handsome and delicate young man, I think of the accountant who eloped with Martha. I wish he could somehow come to my hands, I would have made antimony of his bones.


During the investigation yesterday, I also questioned Howard's wife. But forgot to ask about Margie. I thought I should do this work today. So I went to his palatial house on the hill. At that moment she was enjoying the sun on her lawn with George Hogg. 


There was insufficient clothing on her body. Seriously, it was not known that she was widowed two days ago.


"Hello Taylor," she said in a chirpy voice looking at me.


"It looks like you two already know each other." Hogg expressed surprise.


"Yes. We studied together for many years at the school in this town." Celia explained.


 She turned to me. "I assume you are here in your legal capacity?"


Obviously. Besides, I can't see you alone on any other pretext, I said happily.


  "Hogg was about to leave," said Celia, turning to him. "Why Hog?"


"Wherever I go, this representative of the law follows me." 


The muscles in his face tensed.


  "Anyway I'm leaving, I hope you'll support the theater as much as Howard."


"This season I will support you all the way. After that, we will see." He turned to me.


  "Poor Hogg cares about his business."


"That's not the point," Hogg interjected.


 "I could make ten times as much here in Hollywood. But I am in love with the theater in this town. Because I can freely express whatever I am in the theater here, which is not possible in any big place.”He said looking at me.


"Officer, to what extent was the case successful?"


"I'm trying my best."


"That's what I expected. Well, Celia, I'll go now, thanks for the time!"


After Hogg left, Celia began trying to woo me with her charms.


"Anything else to ask, Taylor?" she said haughtily.


"Yes, the thing is, when Howard did not return home the night before, why didn't you file a report?"


"I didn't know Howard wasn't at home. I only found out when the policeman came and informed me."


"But he tipped you off at nine in the morning."

"I thought he was sleeping in his bedroom. Let me tell you that we have separate bedrooms."


"I know rich people get to have separate bedrooms too." I laughed.


"Not necessarily but it was better for us," she said. "Taylor, are you doubting me?"


"I can't say anything right now, I'm in the dark." I didn't want to elaborate on what I suspected.


"What do you know about Margie?" I asked.



"She is a famous actress."


"I mean the nature of the relationship between Margie and your husband."


"I think Margie is emotionally attached to Brunt," she replied.


"That's not the answer to my question."


"Possibly, isn't it?" she said nonchalantly,


 "but everyone knows that Howard was a bully of beautiful girls. Maybe he likes Margie's beauty too."


"And you didn't care?"


"I and Howard had an agreement. He didn't ask questions about my activities and I didn't question him either," she said, shrugging her shoulders. 


"You must have been surprised by this, Taylor?"


"Surprised or not, it doesn't matter, Celia. This time I have come in search of the truth."


"However, I didn't kill him. I liked him, rather than say that I was attracted to him."


"Wealthy wives have to get attached to their husbands normally," I said.


"Stop all these useless and unromantic things," she said impatiently.


 "Taylor, don't you remember those days when we used to study together? You never took me for a walk in those days. I was left wanting. Even now the time has not passed. What do you say?"


After all, she has expressed her unfulfilled wish. Knowing that I belong to the law now and I am standing before her in a legal capacity, she invited me.


 "Don't belittle yourself," I said with a pucker.


"Really what?" she said in astonishment. "You don't want me?"


She was so close to me that my nerves started getting pulled. I said control myself.


 "You didn't tell anything about your husband's other friends?"


"I said I've never been interested in it.


Taylor, you may not know that I used to like you since school time. You were the captain of football at that time and your body was very strong. You're still strong."


While saying this, something strange, and senseless happened to her and she tightened her grip on my arm with intensity of emotion. Very few women had desired me with such intensity.


 I was overjoyed. Suddenly my mood got spoiled with the thought that her husband had died two days ago and she is in love with me.


 She had said a few moments ago that she used to compromise with her husband. Perhaps she was making a pact with me as well. My body was on fire.


 I separated her hands from my sides and pushed her onto the easy chair. Every aspect of that fraud and witch woman was similar to Martha.


“These tantrums and antics cannot come in my way. I will solve this case.” 


I said and took big steps towards the gate without even looking at her.


When I reached the headquarters, I found my assistant Flux's report on my desk. He asked everyone in the building where Margie lived. There he took the statement of a girl named Annie Dorman.


Annie is a seventeen-year-old girl who lives on the ground floor of Margie's flat. She says that she was standing under the streetlamp with her boyfriend around 11:30. At that point, Margie came in a car with a man. She recognized Margie because she had seen her in many dramas, but Howard was a stranger to her.


I called Flux and pointed to the report.


 "What was Margie doing at the time?"

"Annie's statement is that she was talking to Howard. Annie went to her flat after a while while they both remained in the car."


"That's all she saw?"


"Yes, this proves that Howard was alive between eleven and a half past eleven."


"You reported to the boss?"


"Yes, he has called you."


I went to the captain's room, he was rocking in his chair.


He said on seeing me.


 "This time you're a bit vexed. About a dozen people report that you beat Brunt on a busy street."


"He had a revolver. Do you want me to give him a chance to fire at me?"


“People say that the revolver came into your hand and you controlled it, but still you hit him in the face with the butt of the revolver.”


"It is possible that I am angry. If someone suddenly points a revolver at you, you might do the same."


The captain rested both his elbows on the table and started staring at me, gazing into my eyes. His eyes were very deep. It is as if he is looking into the heart. He said in a steady tone.


 "If someone raises a hand on my beloved, I will go as far as killing him. With a revolver in hand, I will try to learn a lesson."


  "What do you want to say?”


"What you did to Margie, he told me in detail this morning.”


"He's talking nonsense," I said impatiently, lighting my cigar.


"You asked this girl?"


"I spoke to her on the phone," said the captain.


  "What was the result?"

"The girl says you didn't even touch her but what's the matter I don't believe her. Sometimes you behave like…" He took a deep breath.


"What kind of behavior?" The girl's statement is that I did not hurt her. 


"You're a conscientious and honest policeman, Taylor. I'm proud of you. But I worry about the rumors that often go around about you. I get worried. Have you read this eyewitness report?"


"Yes, sir. Margie's statement was that Howard dropped her off in front of the apartment and left. 


When the fact is they were both there in the car for half an hour. I'm pretty sure Margie is lying." And this view of mine is being proved by the statement of the eyewitness." 


I paused and said again. "The two of them were talking in the car, then Margie stabbed him to death."


"But there are many other things that are confusing me."


"I understand what you mean.


"For example," said the captain.


"Margie and Howard left twenty minutes before the curtain fell. The place where they were talking in the car is five minutes from the theater.

  Brunt may have gone to that side after the end of the drama. He must have seen Howard and Margie talking in a loving way. There must have been a fire in his mind, and he took out a knife and killed Howard.


  Margie must have thought there was nothing wrong with telling a little lie. So that the crime of Burnt remains covered. It is as if the culprit is either of those two.


This is not necessary but this should also be taken care of. said the captain cautiously.


"Either one of them is the murderer," I said in a firm tone and took a deep puff of the cigarette, inhaling all the smoke into my lungs.


                                                            …..


I went to the Empire Theater in the evening. Since I was not wearing the badge on my chest, the theater management said that I would have to take the ticket. I bought the ticket reluctantly. I got a seat in the third row near the stage.


Before the drama begins, a man comes on stage to announce that Brunt's role will be played by another actor. He didn't say that Brunt couldn't come on stage because he was in jail.


There was nothing special in the play. It was a simple story in which sex and emotions were perverted. Although Margie's acting was excellent.


  Margie was not a character in the third scene of the second act. That's why I decided to meet her during this time. I went backstage before the scene was over. She left the stage as soon as the curtain fell and went towards the dressing room.


"One minute lady," I called her. Margie turned to me. there was hatred for me in her eyes. Still, she came closer.


"You sat in Howard's car for half an hour that night," I said.


"We were talking in the car," she said.


"But you didn't tell me about it last night and this morning."


"I didn't give any importance to this." He offered an excuse.


 "We were discussing an upcoming play. He was saying we were going to put on a play by Bernard Shaw. I became excited at the idea that I was going to be the heroine of Shaw's play."


"You sure were excited by the idea."


"What do you want to say?" she said in a frightened voice and leaned against the wall.


"Oh God, then this spy will not leave anywhere." came a voice from behind. I turned and saw Director George Hogg coming towards me. 


"When will this investigation of yours end?" he said, biting his lips. "You have captured even the hero of the drama."


"Maybe I'll do the same with heroin"


Margie screamed and ran to the dressing room.


  "Uh these cops too," said Hogg. And put the cigarette off his lips on the floor and mashed it with the boot.


People were still in the hall, I was walking between two rows and headed towards my car when suddenly doom broke over my head. I waved and fell on the floor.


  The stars were twinkling in front of their eyes. I shook my head and wanted to get up, but then someone hit me on the head. Well, I lost my senses too. This time it took a long time to control me. When my mind came under control, I put my hand on the holster to take out my revolver, someone once again hit me on the head and left. I could only see her legs going away. I didn't have the strength to get up and look at him fully.


  After a while, the play ended, and people started coming toward the parking lot. I woke up trembling and somehow reached my car.


 Opening the door, I dropped myself on a seat.

I didn't want people to make fun of me when they saw me lying on the floor.


I examined my breakage in the mirror and concluded that the invisible assailant had not done much harm to me. Only one lip was torn and a little blood was coming out from the head. I took out a handkerchief and cleaned the blood.


I was confused that he was in jail. Then how did he attack me?


With the same hesitation, I went to the Central Jail. The doorman Arnie looked at me and said, 


"While you are in this condition, your opponent's condition must be deserving of mercy. Where is he? I think he must be in the hospital."


"I don't even know about it yet," I said with a faint smile.

"How's Brunt?"


"An hour ago his bail was taken and he was released."


"Who has taken bail so late at night?" I asked in surprise.


"Every big man has connections with judges. Mrs. Howard is rich as well as beautiful. She told a judge in this regard. She has also paid the bail amount."


"Yeah." I nodded slowly and began to rub my finger over the wound on my head.


                                                       …..


From jail, I walked up to the building where Howard was murdered. At that time it was half past one. I stood under a pillar.


  After a while, Martha appeared, the golden-haired Martha. She was walking in the arms of her beloved accountant. There was a hangover in her eyes and fun in her gait. It is not known whether she was drunk or she was waving without drinking. With my rival.


But no. Had I gone mad, she was not Martha. I had not met this unfaithful person for a long time. It was Margie who was walking by Brunt's arms. 


The same Brunt who stomped on my head in the parking lot. Now I was about to give him such a treat that he would remember for the rest of his life.

As soon as they came near, I attacked Brunt. After eating two hands, he started licking the ground. I was really going crazy. I felt like dislocating Brunt's joint. 


Margie was screaming hysterically and clawing at me with her nails. Sometime back the area was deserted, but now the nearby windows were opening and people were peeping inside.


Don't know where a policeman came from. He was strong like a buffalo. He grabbed me from behind and said in surprise, "What happened Taylor, why are you so angry?"


"Shut the fuck up and leave me." I struggled to break free from his grip. 


But it was not possible, Margie ran and supported Brunt.


she kept Brunt's head on her knees.

.

"This dog attacked me in the parking lot of the Empire Theater," I told the policeman.


"He's gone mad," said Brunt in a low voice, "I haven't seen him since this morning."


"Sir, I don't know why it hates us," Margie sobbed.


I looked at them disdainfully and gestured to the policeman to leave me as I had no intention of touching this hero's child.


 When he left my waist, I walked towards my car with heavy steps. I parked it a block away.


  On reaching home, I washed my hands and made a cup of coffee, and drank it. When I freshened up, Brunt's words fell on my ears that he did not attack me. If he did not attack then who did?


There was a long row of small houses. He lived in one of them. There was light in both the windows of his house. I was sure he must be awake.


I got out of the car and walked towards his door. On reaching near, I raised my hand towards the call bell but then stopped. because he was coming down.


He came downstairs and opened the door, but his jaw dropped when he saw me in front of him.

"I wanted to"..... I wanted to say but he turned with lightning speed and started climbing the stairs. I followed him. On reaching the top floor, he went into the room and closed the door. When I pushed, it opened.


The room was dark. It was not complete darkness as there was a faint light coming from the side of the staircase, I stood near the door. And there were no signs of life. There was no movement.

  I tentatively reached for the switch and lit it. He was not in the room.


 However, Celia, Howard's wife, greeted me with wide eyes. Her eyes were dilated because she was dead. She was lying on the floor with her arms and legs folded in strange poses.


There were two doors in front of me. He was surely behind one of them. I was worried that he might not escape through the window.


I headed towards the first door. Passing by the corpse, I touched it and saw, the body was still warm. This means that it has been terminated some time ago.


As soon as I straightened up, a door opened and the figure of George Hogg appeared. He had a rifle in his hand and his face was turning white like the dead.


"You will not give evidence of intelligence by reaching for your revolver," he threatened.


I regretted not taking out the revolver earlier. Then in such a situation, I should have handled myself when I was going in front of a murderer.


“You killed her husband with a knife. You strangled her with your own hands and you are pointing a rifle at me. Hogg dear you have gone mad.”


"I wish I could have killed you in the parking lot." He gritted his teeth.


"Okay," you're committing murder after murder. But what will be gained from this? Celia couldn't be yours."


"No." Hogg shivered. "But how did you know?"


"That's my guess. I was thinking tonight, if Brunt didn't attack me, who could he be? I thought of you. This afternoon, when Celia was busy seducing me, you were watching from somewhere hidden. You wanted to know what my thoughts were about the murderer of her husband. Where did my investigation reach?


"So you didn't know anything until then."


"Yes. Because my investigation was in the wrong direction. When I looked into the other side, I reached you."


"I'll kill you," Hogg growled.


"The second murder didn't do you any good. You thought that when Howard died, Celia fell into your arms like a ripe fruit. But it didn't. Am I right?

"She used to come here. I mentioned you to her today and complained about why she was being so free with you, so she made fun of me and laughed and said that there is no dearth of lovers in such a time pass. By the hundreds Surely there will be.


"Was she aware of the fact that you murdered her husband?"


"No. It was I who told her. I told her directly that I killed her husband because of her. Hearing this she became furious and started running from there. She wanted to inform the police.


I caught her. I wanted to stop her. Unknowingly my hands fell on her neck. she ... she …


He sobbed and ran his hand over his face.


I was waiting for such an occasion when he would be oblivious to his rifle. I jumped on it. I had one hand on his rifle and the other on his face.


When I entered the hospital, my eyes went to Margie. She was sitting next to Brunt's bed. Bandages were visible in several places on Brunt's face.


  "I apologize to you guys," I said embarrassedly.


None of them said anything.


"My officer has suspended me for my misbehavior. I have caught the murderer, so I may be lenient. I may not be. However, I don't care what is done to me." 


Margie put a hand on Brunt's shoulder and looked at him sadly. They were still silent.


"I know you both love each other. I also used to suffer from this problem but she was unfaithful to me. Cheated me. Coincidentally she looks similar to you. That's why I chase every guy who loves you.


 Because of Martha with an accountant... you guys understand right?" I became completely silent. 


Because those people were not paying any attention to me. Surely they were heartbroken from my side. Their hearts were scarred because of my attitude. But now how would I wash off this stain? How would I pay my atonement?


   I didn't understand anything so I said in a hoarse voice. "I apologize to both of you once again." And walked away from there with heavy steps.



                                                             



                                                                                              THE END



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reunion In The Ring

    Reunion In The Ring   The hatreds and loves of the days of war continue to play even in the condition of peace. The story of the patience and bravery of a helpless boxer who came under the occupation of the Germans, he did not forget any excess that happened to him. T all and strong, the Norwegian boxer Carland dominated his rival from the start. After all, he landed such a decisive right punch on Mike's face that every spectator in the stadium gasped uncontrollably. At the same time, without giving Mike a chance to recover, he hit his left punch in the stomach with such force that his wrist came back only after sinking almost to the elbow. This attack proved to be the last. The reason for Mike's biggest fame was that he had not been knocked out for a long time in his professional life. But at this point, he slowly piled on the ring floor like an old sinking ship and the referee started the count. Carland stood on the ropes in the neutral corner with his arms outs

THE DEAD LETTER

      THE DEAD LETTER The story of a murderer who falls prey to haste. The murderer had arrived before him. All hope of life was gone. He drew the attention of the murderer to his last letter, but now he was not ready to listen and understand anything. The fire of revenge alienated him from his senses. C harles Henderson was sitting with his elbows on the table, his head bowed, and both hands on his temples. He was completely alone in his study.  There was a deep silence in the room. The table lamp on the table was bright and the circle of yellow lit a bottle of whiskey and glass near Charles. There was whiskey in the glass. There was no sound in the room except the ticking of the wall clock.  Charles was deep in thought. Behind Charles, the door opened very slowly and a man entered with silent steps like a shadow. He had a revolver in his hand. "What's up Charles Henderson!"  Suddenly, the newcomer's voice was h