Skip to main content

Match

  Match The story of a woman who was deprived of her life, and suffered from the vicissitudes of life. His lips were shaking slowly. He wanted to say something but could not. Anna had a feeling that she knew what Conrad was going to say. Every woman knows what men say on such occasions.   This had happened to Anna many times before. Every time she heard the sound of the call bell, she was poorly startled. This was because the bell was installed near the sink in the kitchen. Therefore, whenever she was near the sink and someone pressed a finger on the bell button, the loud sound would startle Anna badly. And that's why neither her husband nor her family used this bell. They knew what kind of condition Anna got after hearing the sound of this bell. She was busy preparing food for the family when the loud sound of the bell startled her. This time the voice was a little louder, so Anna was startled a little more accordingly.   She kept the knife aside and walked fast to the door. Two p

Well Wisher Hat

             

   Well-Wisher Hat

Story of a soft-hearted and sincere police officer









Richard Larkins turned his head to the right and looked at her and thought that in the last four years he had never paid any attention to this girl. Four years ago, when he had given this girl the position of secretary, he was convinced of her attractiveness. But during these four years he never praised her beauty nor did he see her in that way.


In fact, he used to get so engrossed in his business problems that he did not get time to pay attention to his surroundings. He did not waste even a single moment of his life. He was used to doing everything quickly and on time. Perhaps that is why he had become a successful person at the age of thirty-three.


Even at this time, he was going towards the airport at a speed of sixty miles. The car was on the highway and the airport was not far away.


“Tomorrow there will be a meeting of the Commercial Trust Company in Cleveland.”


He said to his secretary, "Have you made all the preparations in this regard and completed all the papers?"


  "Yes, sir," replied Diana, “and with that, the program was arranged. You will find a rental car parked at the hotel entrance. The nine o'clock flight will take you to New York, the plane ticket is booked. You want to see Mr. Palmer and Mr. Dorson on Sunday. It took some time to persuade them to meet, but they agreed anyway."


"It's good. This meeting will be beneficial for Mr. Palmer and Mr. Dorson. That's it, or is there something else?"


"Yes sir," she said. "I have signed the letter that is going to the mayor, if it has any legal standing, I should not be considered involved in it.


" legal capacity ?". Larkins repeated thoughtfully.


 "No, that letter has no legal standing. The mayor requested me to become a member of the police board, but I declined on the grounds of lack of free time. I replied to him that he should appoint someone else, who is better To review the functioning of the police department in a proper manner."


"Okay, sir," Diana replied.


Larkins took another quick look at her. Today she was looking more attractive. Even more attractive than the day she came to get the job. Diana had blue eyes, a thin nose, and a sloping forehead. She had those expressions on her face which are usually seen on the faces of little girls. There was no heavy makeup on her cheeks, rather she wore light and proper makeup to make herself look good. The virginity of her beauty was revealed. She had put on Larkins' favorite perfume.


He immediately felt that he should spend more time with Diana. Completely independent from the level of secretary and owner. For example, he may take her to dinner at a hotel. But it was not possible at that time as he was going on a business trip. Yes, a program could have been organized after coming back from there.


"I think your mind is still confused with this letter."


Larkins speculated.


"Is my face creating such an effect?" She smiled at the Larkins. I... I mean, it would be nice if you became a member of this board."


"Why?'' Larkins questioned sharply.


"Hey, nothing special sir. Actually, my father has served in this department for a long time. That's why I respect those in uniform. I have respect for them.


"I think the board member should be an elderly person. Who is also retired. So that he can get more time to do his duty." Larkins gave his perspective.

"Yes sir "


"As if you agree with me, then let us not discuss this subject." He said.


"Yes sir. "


"Now you inform me of the content of the letter which Mr. Carter sent..."


"I think you are going to be in trouble, sir." Diana cut him off. "A policeman on a motorcycle is following us for about a furlong.


Larkins mumbled and his lips quivered. He was in a hurry at this time and at that time it had ceased to be a spectacle. He was left boiling in anger.


"He was probably hiding somewhere to challan the speeding drivers." He said while looking in the rearview mirror.


 "Perhaps he will not stop me."


"He will definitely stop you," Diana said in a terse tone.

Larkins pulled the car over to the side when a policeman on a motorcycle started blaring a siren. The policeman was very old and seemed inexperienced, could not get out of his grip just by making up things.


The policeman came near and peeped in through the window and saluted and said,


 "Perhaps you were in a hurry to go to the airport, that's why you were faking speeding. Last month, I did about a dozen such challans."


"Sure would have done," said Larkins, controlling his anger.


"Because planes suffer from the disease of flying on time, and to reach them, it is necessary to use high speed."


"I am also aware of this disease of planes," he said in a creative tone with a smile,


 "But the planes leave on time, so why don't the passengers leave their homes a little earlier to reach them.


" You must know that high speed gives rise to accidents. If there is no problem then show your driving license and registration certificate.”


Larkins glanced at his wristwatch. There was very little time left for the flight. Instead of getting entangled with the police, it would have been better to have been challaned. He said fumbling in his pocket.


 "Hang on, I'll show you both in a minute."


"You really seem to be in a hurry." The policeman said with a smile. And went to the back side to see the number plate of the car.


"I think I made a mistake. I should have accepted the mayor's offer and become a member of the police board."


"That doesn't help at the moment either," Diana said worriedly.


"Nothing like that," Larkins said nervously. "Oh my god, I left my wallet at the apartment. Miss Diana, you go over there quickly and ask the building manager to open the apartment and hand over the purse to you. Take out the money from the purse and send it to me through the emergency post. There are more important documents in it. I'll deal with the police now.”


"How do you deal with this problem? He is asking for the license and registration certificate." Diana said.

"Throw him to hell." Larkins grimaced. At the same time, the policeman stuck his head in the window again.


 "Sorry officer," Larkins said. "I left my ID card and license at my apartment. Because my plane was about to take off.


"Sorry Mr. Larkins, I can't even let you move from here." The policeman said in a firm tone.


"Okay," Larkins said, wringing his hands nervously. "You invoice me."


"I can't issue a challan without seeing your license." He shook his head again.


 "And you are not allowed to drive this car even an inch without a license. Lady, do you have a license?"


"No," Diana replied. "I don't even have my license with me right now."


"You haven't either." Larkins turned to her and said in astonishment. As if being a secretary, it should also be involved in her duties.


"Excuse me, Mr. Larkins," Diana said softly.


 "You instructed that the car be dropped off at the airport and that I come back in a taxi."


"Yes," Larkins said softly. "What should we do now?"


“Now all you can do is get out of the driving seat and I will drive your car to the police station. Wait, let me park my bike aside first.”


"Perhaps you don't know how much this childish stubbornness of yours can hurt me. I will miss an important business deal. Find a way out for me this time."


"Sorry I am unable to provide any such facility. If I do not meet the legal requirements, I will lose my job."


  Diana went to the back seat and sat down. And Larkins went over to her side. While the policeman took over the driving seat. He started the car and went ahead. He was familiar with driving.


“The car is very nice. He said. “Maybe there is air conditioning?”


Larkins gritted his teeth and said. "Yes,"


When the policeman realized that Larkins was upset, he did not bring up the subject again. 

Without turning his head, Larkins addressed Diana,


 "Diana, go to my apartment, get my purse, and call Cleveland to inform them I'll be there on the next flight. Have the company send me a car. And here's the schedule for New York, Then it won't make any difference."


  "Good, sir," said Diana.


Larkins looked at her deeply and said in a deep voice. The text of the letter sent to me by the Mayor is to be changed. I am ready to be a member of the board."


That's fine, sir."


The two-story building of the police headquarters was fifty-eight years old. And its construction was first made of stones. A long table was visible as soon as we entered the main office. It was so long that the whole room was surrounded by it. At the end of the table, there were placards for the Chief and Captain.


  The police captain was about forty-five years old. His body was heavy and his neck was thick. He was performing his duties in the department for twenty years.


  The motorcycle police officer presented the Larkins' case. Deskman

Opened the register and registered the case. Then the captain spoke.


 "I'm Captain O'Brien. I assume your license issue needs to be settled first?"


"My secretary will go to the office and get my purse. I will submit my license and registration card at that time.


“Yeah, you can't drive the car right now. Permission will be given after presenting the license.

 

Well, if you are in a hurry, you can pay the cash guarantee and go.”


"But how is that possible? My wallet is in the office and I don't have a penny in my pocket." Larkins spoke.


"You don't feel like a habitual criminal", said Captain O'Brien.


 "So I won't put you in jail just yet, okay?" Larkins heaved a sigh of relief, then looked at his secretary and said.


 "Miss Diana, now you get my purse quickly so that this quarrel can end."

Diana shook her head and left. The motorcycle policeman recorded the entire situation in the register and left. But before leaving he took out a dollar note from his pocket and put it in the hat kept near the door.


Larkins blinked incomprehensibly. That hat was very old and was used with old police uniforms. This time it was kept upside down. Such was the shape of the cup.


 Pointing to a paper bag, captain O’Brien said.


 "Some stranger left a sack of apples here. I just tasted an apple. It's delicious. Take one if you want, Mr. Larkins."


The captain not only invited him in but took one out and bit it with his teeth. That golden apple was so juicy that its juice dripped from the captain's mouth. He laughed and took out a handkerchief and wiped his lips. Realizing that the apples were of good quality and high grade, 


Mr. Larkins was getting hungry. He also picked up an apple with gratitude and started eating it with pleasure.


He was happy thinking that if these policemen come to know that I have been offered to become a member of the Police Board, then these people will start following me. But at the moment he did not want to say this. Now he wanted to deal with the matter in the capacity of a common man without any legal privileges.


 Suddenly the door opened and a man in plain clothes came in. He stood by the hat and felt the pockets, then put a dollar note in it and went into the inner rooms. To the Larkins, this act of his was interesting and strange.


He shook his head in a manner of not understanding and started chewing lightly by putting two pieces of apple in his mouth. The apple was really sweet. Meanwhile, three more youths came. Two were in uniform and one in plain clothes. He was probably a detective. All three of them ignored the cap but the captain winked at it. All three put their hands in their pockets. As a result, three dollars more went into the cap.


The Larkins had finished his apple. He looked around to throw away the hard part in the middle.


"Wrap it in paper and put it in the dustbin," O'Brien said. "And if you wish, take one more apple."


"Thank you, one is enough."


Suddenly, a man, dressed in a ragged robe, entered.


 "Hello, Terry. What did the boy do this time?" he said nonchalantly. he asked O'Brien.


"I don't know, Jim. He was brought here before I took duty. They say he stole something."


"I can't believe it." The man spoke quickly.


"I told what I knew," O'Brien said,


 "But if you want to hear the details, then wait. Sergeant Prince of traffic arrested him. He will be able to tell you about it. His duty will end in an hour."



Well wait, I will come after talking to the boy, the man said. and went to the inner rooms. The sound of his footsteps could be heard for a long time.


"He was in charge of the reformatory," said O'Brien. His salary is not high, but he wants to live in the style of big men. He pays a lot of attention to the reformatory.


He comes to know that a boy who came out of his reform school has again been involved in some crime, then he comes running. The boy who was just talking about has been brought here again."


  "Such boys should be dealt with strictly and punished so that they do not dare to do so in the future."


"Hey, you don't understand," said the captain quickly.


 "This boy is not a criminal. Nor is he prone to crime, his mother lives far away and is ill. She has been admitted to the hospital. The boy wants to meet his mother every day while he does not have the rent. Age is also not such that he can get any work. There is an uncle who does not give him even a cent. Now what to do if he does, he steals under compulsion. Compulsion drives crime, Mr. Larkins."


"Yes, it is." He agreed. “Actually, I have no experience of these things, I just told bookish things. 


You live in this environment, so you have more experience than who is a habitual criminal and who becomes a criminal under circumstances.”


"The story of the crime is also strange. No scale works in this, no consistent principle of psychology can be explained.


 Often it is also seen that the boys of wealthy families are involved in the theft. Strict action should be taken against them. So it turns out that they were doing it just for the sake of adventure. Or wanted to gain sensationalism." O'Brien said.


During this, an old man came inside. It was estimated from his uniform that he was from patrolling police. He stopped when he got close to the brown hat. His hand went into his pocket.

Then he also tossed a dollar inside the hat. He smiled lightly as he approached O'Brien.


 After that, he went towards the stairs. The patrol police department was on the top floor.


"He is the oldest servant of the department," said O'Brien. "He wishes to die in the line of duty."


If he continues to work like this, surely this wish of his will also be fulfilled. 


Larkins looked at his wristwatch. It was late for Diana. A wrinkle of thought appeared on his forehead, he said,


 "If you allow me, may I make a phone call?"


"Yeah, of course." O'Brien slid one of the four telephones in front of him.


"I feel I have the right to make a call." Mr. Larkins said.


"That only happens in the movies or in the big cities," O'Brien said with a smile. 


"You can make a dozen calls in such small places."


"Great," Larkins said. He thought that the flight had already left and sitting here I cannot do any business. Why not stay here and see the interests of these people. 

He postponed his intention to call.


"Dial the number, who do you want to call?" O'Brien said.


"I guess I'll wait for my secretary,"


  "Whatever you like. Well, I think your secretary is very attractive. Her innocent face melts the eyes. Have you ever seen her like this?" Or you get caught up in your business. 


  Larkins realized that the man was interesting. Was talking to him openly. It was as if he could answer openly and even smile a little if he wanted to. Larkins replied with a faint smile.


 "My secretary is very beautiful and I feel it too but I haven't had enough time to admire her beauty yet," he said after a pause.


 "Don't know why she hasn't returned yet."


"There might be heavy traffic on the roads and she can't find her way." O'Brien speculated.


 "It could also be that the building supervisor isn't allowing her to enter your apartment. You tell me the license number of your car, I'll call the vehicles department to confirm it."


  In this way, you will get relief sitting here without any confusion.


"Thank you," said Mr. Larkins and gave him the registration number and the date of issue of the license. Captain went to another room and sent this information to the related department through teletype.


Coming back he said. "Just in a few minutes, there will be an answer as long as you eat one more apple."


The Larkins gratefully picked up another apple. he said. "I was feeling very hungry and was about to have lunch after going on the plane. But I think it will not be needed now. After eating two apples, the stomach will be full."


"Police work is weird too," O'Brien said. 


“Sometimes I don't even have time to scratch my head and sometimes it happens that I keep killing flies. Take the point of now, time is not passing by.


When the day's duty was over, the policemen came back. Everyone put something in the hat. Then those people who were going on new duty, also put something or the other in that hat while leaving the building.


About half a dozen of those who had come after finishing duty, O'Brien offered to accept an apple. Everyone accepted this offer and the bag started emptying fast.


 During this, the in charge of the reformatory came back.


"It's a very pointless case," he said, moving closer to the captain.


 "Karl was hungry and his pocket was empty. In that condition, if he had stolen something from somewhere, what would be the trouble?


 Sergeant Prince should have been ashamed to lay hands on him. 


What's in this bag?"


"There are apples."


“You eat too.” O'Brien invited him too. He nodded and picked up an apple. O'Brien said.


 "Take a couple of apples for the kids too."

The officer happily put the four apples in his coat. The coat pocket swelled. He stood there for a moment and then went away saying this.


 "Tell Sergeant Prince to spare the boy. He hasn't committed a crime in a professional manner."


"Better," replied Oberon. After he left, he looked into the bag and said,


 "There are two apples left, Mr. Larkins, what do you think?"


"Now it's hard." Larkins apologized. The apples are too big. My stomach is full.


"Take another," O'Brien insisted.


  I myself have eaten four. Actually, after that, the bag will be empty and it can be easily thrown away.



The Larkins yielded to his insistence and picked up another apple. Then went to his seat. He didn't understand why O'Brien was inviting everyone to eat apples. Suddenly a teletype sound came from the other room. As if the message is complete.


  "The message must have been about your license," said O'Brien, and got up and went to another room.


 Coming back, he said sarcastically, "I'm sorry there's a complication in your case."


" what that ?"


"Your license expired four months ago and is currently not renewed."


"Oh oh... I forgot that." stammered Larkins. He felt as if O'Brien was calling him a criminal. 


"I'm sorry, I'm really busy…


"Now I want you to present your guarantees," O'Brien said. If you want, you can call someone in this regard. I am bound to fulfill the legal requirements."


Larkins' heart desires to call the mayor and get him there. And solve the whole dispute in a few minutes. 


But suddenly a sergeant entered the office with an angry expression on his face. It would be better to say that the face was as red as a tomato.


"I just met Jim," he said. "He says that I should not take any action against the boy."

"What's the charge on the boy?" O'Brien asked, taking the last piece of apple down his throat. 


Larkins also had finished his apples during this time. The sound coming out of their mouth startled the sergeant.


He turned and looked around the room and then spoke.


 "The boy had stolen from Bergellini's store a bag of apples which he had packed separately for a customer. Although this is not a grand theft and cannot be called a crime but the law... Yes, 


where did that bag go? Who took it?"


He suddenly snapped while saying.


"You're not talking about the bag that was lying on this table, are you?" O'Brien asked wide-eyed.


"Yeah, that's what I'm talking about." The sergeant's voice became louder. "And what bag was here?"



"I had thought that some person had given this apple as a gift. Now all are over. The apples have reached inside our stomachs.


"The apples were delicious." Larkins took out a napkin and wiped his lips.


Sergeant Prince seethed with anger and stood silent for about a minute. His face became very red. He said.


 "It seems to be a well-planned scheme. Well, you guys have finished eating apples, haven't you? 


But I will not give up easily either. I will tell Burggaleni to fill another bag with apples...."


Then you will swear that the boy stole those apples... It will be a lie.


 You just said that the law is the law. Would you lie to the law?"


"Okay, get over it," surrendered the sergeant.


"Your decision is very appropriate," said O'Brien.


 “The boy was hungry and his pockets were empty. As a result, he stole.

 His mother lives somewhere far away from here. The purpose of speaking is that he is helpless."


"Okay, well, let's give it one more chance. Tell him not to do that again." Sergeant Prince said and grumbled as he headed for the door. 


When he got out, O'Brien called someone and said. "Send that boy Carl over here."

 

After some time a thin, tall boy came from behind. He was looking very weak. His height was six feet. O'Brien motioned for him to sit down. 


Then reached near that hat. After that, he passed the envelope to the boy and said,


 "Keep this money, Carl, and go to your mother. After three days you will be old enough to make your green card, then you will be able to work anywhere. And you will be called an adult.


 I  suggest you do a night job so that you can take admission to some school and study during day time. All your problems cannot be solved with this amount, still, you can work as far as you can. If there is any other problem then more amount Take it from me."


"Okay sir." said the boy gratefully.


 "I will return all the money to you."


"I wish that you don't get into any trouble, you don't have any worries. Try and stand on your feet, then slowly return this amount.


 Just go now, otherwise, you will miss your train."


The Larkins heaved a sigh of satisfaction when the boy left. He felt like he was still in his sweet home. He was starting to feel a strange affinity with O'Brien.


"May I ask what was the matter?"


"Do you want to ask about the apples? O'Brien smiled and said it was our fault for eating them. 


Although that was evidence against the boy.


  It was as if we all carried the proof of the crime in our stomachs.


"I already know this," Larkins said. "I'm asking about this hat."


"Ohh, it. It's called the Black Han's Hat, Mr. Larkins,

  Black Han once worked in this town. Tall broad body and soft heart. He was a resident of Ireland. He was so soft-hearted that when he saw someone in trouble. He immediately agreed to help him. Taking off his cap, he used to request people to fill it with notes.


 Everyone used to put something in it according to their status. Eventually, the needy would get a fair amount. And he used to get rid of the temporary problem also. After Black Han dies we get his hat and set about continuing his mission. As a result, when we want to help someone, we keep this hat close to the door. So that visitors can put something into it."


"But none of the donors bothered to ask, for whom is this money being collected?"


  "What's the need of it? They just want to help, so they do.


 Every policeman in the police department, if he's a good-hearted person, at least gives something when he sees this hat.


  It should be so because, if the keepers of the law continue to serve humanity, then the sufferings of many people will go away. And people will consider him as their sympathizer. Don't run away from them considering them stupid, insensitive, and stupid. 


"How many times a year do you guys put this hat in there?"


"In a year? There are so many needy in this society that the hat has to be put there two or three times a week."


"Your work is commendable, otherwise the police would never have done this."


“You are right but they should. We have been performing this ritual for the last fifteen years. 


Others should also set an example now, they should also lay such a foundation.”


Larkins nodded and went back to his seat. When Diana came after a while, he took the purse, took out fifty dollars from it, and deposited it as security. But there was still a problem with how to renew his license.


"I'm sorry Mr. Larkins," Diana said.


 "I always had a driver's license with me but on this occasion, I forgot it. And I didn't even have fifty dollars to put down the bail which resulted in... ."


"Oh never mind, let's get this topic over with." Larkins waved.


 "One more thing Mr. O'Brien," he said. "You had accidentally eaten the apples kept in that bag. 


But how was it known that the boy would be released and he would also need the money."


"Good question." O'Brien nodded. "I can answer it too, but I don't have time right now.


 The evening duty staff is about to come. That's why you leave from here."


O'Brien said in a loud voice as he reached the door smiling.


 "Since the driving license is with the lady, she will drive the car. While you [you] get the license renewed quickly."


Larkins nodded his head and took Diana's hand and led her to the parking lot. Diana reached the car and took the driving seat.


"The second flight will leave after a while. What are you going to do with the airport now, Mr. Larkins?" she said.


"I'm not leaving now. Let's go to the Arnold Club, Miss Diana.


 We'll have dinner there. I want to talk to you. Things that are done by candlelight. 

You like candlelight, don't you?" 


"Yes, Mr. Larkins," Diana said in a condescending tone.


"Great." Larkins breathed a sigh of relief.


 "I want to see you there in the light of a candle. Not as I see every day.


 But as I've never seen before. I've been repenting. I'm ashamed of my attitude because I'm not used to seeing it around. I just Why do I keep getting entangled in business.


 Why don't I look at the greenery, happy faces, and happy colored flowers?


 It is not that I don't have a romantic sense. Maybe I didn't get time off from business.


Come with me to the Arnold Club. I will see you with all my heart. I will take you down the path of eyes in my heart.


"I think I'll stop the car right here," Diana said in a cheerful voice.


 "Somewhere you are out of control…..  


The apprehension she was expressing has finally happened.




                                                                                         THE END





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reunion In The Ring

    Reunion In The Ring   The hatreds and loves of the days of war continue to play even in the condition of peace. The story of the patience and bravery of a helpless boxer who came under the occupation of the Germans, he did not forget any excess that happened to him. T all and strong, the Norwegian boxer Carland dominated his rival from the start. After all, he landed such a decisive right punch on Mike's face that every spectator in the stadium gasped uncontrollably. At the same time, without giving Mike a chance to recover, he hit his left punch in the stomach with such force that his wrist came back only after sinking almost to the elbow. This attack proved to be the last. The reason for Mike's biggest fame was that he had not been knocked out for a long time in his professional life. But at this point, he slowly piled on the ring floor like an old sinking ship and the referee started the count. Carland stood on the ropes in the neutral corner with his arms outs

THE DEAD LETTER

      THE DEAD LETTER The story of a murderer who falls prey to haste. The murderer had arrived before him. All hope of life was gone. He drew the attention of the murderer to his last letter, but now he was not ready to listen and understand anything. The fire of revenge alienated him from his senses. C harles Henderson was sitting with his elbows on the table, his head bowed, and both hands on his temples. He was completely alone in his study.  There was a deep silence in the room. The table lamp on the table was bright and the circle of yellow lit a bottle of whiskey and glass near Charles. There was whiskey in the glass. There was no sound in the room except the ticking of the wall clock.  Charles was deep in thought. Behind Charles, the door opened very slowly and a man entered with silent steps like a shadow. He had a revolver in his hand. "What's up Charles Henderson!"  Suddenly, the newcomer's voice was h

Blind Mirror

                        Blind Mirror The story of the man who was looking at his reflection in the mirror The girl herself woke up. I neither called her nor shook her. She was a minor actress and her name was Margie. If I had not been acquainted with her in detail, I would have thought of her as Martha. Her jawline, cheekbones, and thin steep nose were very similar to Martha's.  Especially looking at her hair, it definitely seemed so. Her hair was curly and scattered like the gold wire on the pillow. I was aware of the fact that actresses sleep very late. It was ten o'clock in the day and her eyes were in a hangover. The sun's rays were coming in through the eastern window and falling straight on her face.  She put one hand on her face as if she wanted to shake off the rays. With the other hand, she moved her blanket. She was wearing a thin fabric nightgown. Martha also used to wear this type of nightgown. I remember that when she was near, I used to look